January's Spotlight

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize your own digital slideshow



January's Spotlight goes to: Western Massachusetts BNI
In the Category of: Event Photography

Last February I made a conscious decision to expand my business and a big part of that process was joining a local chapter of BNI (Business Networking International). Within a very short period of time I realized the value this organization brought to my business, but also to my clients. I became better at networking. I became better at organization. I became better at business.
In a few short months I asked to have more involvement with my chapter (The Mill River Chapter). So I joined the membership committee, which gave me the opportunity to help the chapter grow, by interviewing the new applicants and summarizing why I felt they would or would not make a good addition to the group.
At about the same time the local Director of Western Massachusetts BNI approached me and asked me if I would like to become an Ambassador for the organization (a title which has since changed to Director Consultant), honored I said "Yes!" Something like 4 phone interviews later, I found myself shaking hands with one of the owners of the franchise, Mr. Tim Roberts.
My duties included traveling to other local chapters and talking about the benefits of getting involved in their BNI Chapter. It opened a whole new world to me. I was meeting many new people and learning more and more about business.
In August, the Director approached me once again, asking me to step up once again to become the president of the Mill River Chapter. Nervous about disappointing my chapter, or spreading myself too thin, I brushed him off with a simple "I'll have to think about that." After three more similar conversations he wore me down and I agreed to take on the additional responsibility. It hasn't been the easiest road, but I owe BNI a lot. In less than a single year I have created an environment of success fro myself. I am surrounded by people who believe in me, at times more than I believed in myself. They helped me show my talents to a wider audience and in an economy where 4 out of 5 new businesses fail in their first year, I am three years into this business and going strong, growing in fact.
So when the opportunity to give back to this organization arose I snatched it. This January they held their annual Awards Dinner at the Delaney House in Holyoke Massachusetts. I volunteered to sponsor the event and do their event photography. Over 100 members from the various local chapters turned out for this evening of networking and celebration.
This month's Spotlight Client is BNI. They have brought me more business in the past year than I ever would have been able to attain on my own. And the longer I work with them the more beneficial our relationship has become.

Comments