10 Tips for Selecting the Right Photographer for You

Before I became a photographer I had the challenge of finding myself a wedding photographer. The process was stressful and the results were kind of a disaster. I never met with or talked to my photographer before the wedding and we weren't on the same page. As a result I had sub-par wedding portraits, and not the photo-journalistic shots as I had hoped for. Now that I am a photographer myself I aim to spare my clients from this tragedy. Weddings cost a lot of money make sure you capture those memories the way you want to remember them. Of course these tips don't simply apply to Wedding Photographers, but everything from family portraits to business and commercial photography.

1. Decide what you want from your photos.
Do you want studio shots? Do you want on location shots? Do you want posed shots or more organic ones, or even a combination? Do you want a photographer or a photo journalist?

2. Do your homework.
Check out websites of photographers in your area. Look at their portfolios, check out their bio pages, read their testimonials. Even the photographer’s blog can give you an idea of who they are and how they treat their clients.

3. Ask for a consult
 Most photographers offer free photo consults. If they don’t, this could be a red flag. It may mean that they don’t have an interest in what you are looking for. Maybe they are great at what they do but maybe they only do one thing, and that’s great, but is that one thing what you want. I encourage my clients to have consults with other photographers, as well. I know what I have to offer and I know that I am not always the best choice for all my clients, or their projects. In fact, I even have a list of other photographers for my clients to check out for the things I don’t specialize in.

4. Find samples of what you want.
Clip out pictures from magazines or find links to photos online. Nothing gets what you are looking for through to a photographer as much as other images that capture what you are looking for.

5. Make a list of questions.
What do you want to know about your photographer? Make a list of those questions. This is like a job interview, you are the employer.

6. Consider cost.
Know what you are willing to pay. Photos cost more to produce than you think. Sure you may pay a certain amount for the hour, but consider this. For every image you get approximately 10 minutes, or more, of editing goes into that. So six photos equals about an hour of editing. Keep this in mind as you plan your budget.

7. Look at the packages
Packages often end up giving you considerable price cuts. Often you can walk away with hundred of dollars of “free” products. Photographers can find value in offering you these products or services at a discount if they find it important to gain or keep you as a client for new or repeat business. If no packages are listed, ask. It never hurts to ask.

8. Be prepared.
When you meet your photographer for your consult be prepared with your images, questions, and with an open mind. The photographer wants to find out if you are compatible with their goals as well. Being prepared in advance allows you to hear more of what they have to say because you are not struggling to remember all the questions, points or shots you wanted to discuss.

9. Listen.
During your consult engage in the conversation but listen to what the photographer is saying. Does it sync with what you are looking for? Do your personalities mesh? This is probably the most important part of the consult. Can you work with this person? Do they understand what you are saying? And are the listening to you in return?

10. Go with your gut.
At the end of the day, go with what FEELS right. If they are in the business, the photos will probably be good no matter what. If you made it all the way to this step with the photographer the last thing you can do is listen to what your instincts tell you. And if you can’t decide between two…try the old toss of a coin.
   

Comments