Writing the best testimonial

As many of you who follow me on Face book (http://www.facebook.com/#!/JackiJacobsPhotographyPage) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/Jacki_Jacobs) know, I am a bit of an insomniac. Because of this, a majority of the shopping that I do is online. Since I do this shopping online I rely heavily on reviews and testimonials.

If anyone else has ever looked up a review or testimonial for a product or service you may have the same apprehensions I have. Some are too long, some are way too short, and some don’t really tell you anything about the product/service at all.

So consider this my public service announcement on how to write the best testimonial you can.  Also it’s a very simple easy formula which will make writing a testimonial easy and quick. Who doesn’t like how that sounds?

The formula is simple. It is a series of 6 questions that require one to three sentences each to answer. Ideally you want to stick with one sentence so as not to bore the reader.

Question one:
    Why did you contact/hire/buy the service or product you are writing your testimonial for? What were you looking for?

Question two:
    Did you receive the service/quality you were expecting  or was your expectation exceeded?

Question three:
    Give a specific example of something that impressed you.

Question four:
    Would you recommend this service/product to someone else?

Question five:
    Who specifically would you recommend this product/service to?

Question six:
    Finally include who you are and where you are from.

Example:
    “(1)I was drawn to Jacki Jacobs Photography because of the dedication they claimed to have for building relationships with their clients. (2)After hiring Jacki I found this to not only be true, but also a home-like atmosphere during my shoot which made me feel comfortable in front of the camera. (3)At one point during my shoot I felt my smile get a bit stiff, Jacki noticed this and had me relax and make faces until the smile became more genuine and natural. (4)I would definitely recommend this service (5)to anyone who is a little camera shy--you’ll walk away feeling like a model.
                    --(6)Jacki Jacobs from Jacki Jacobs Photography
                        Florence, MA

This is the basic outline I use whenever writing a testimonial for a service I have received. A client may even ask you to be a reference for them if they really like something that you have to say in your testimonial. But that is the subject of an entirely different blog altogether.

Hope you found this helpful. If so feel free to comment below

Comments